There’s been a lot of news recently about cacao production in San Martin. Rather than try to cover such a wide subject myself, I thought I’d put together a chronological selection of articles from across the web (call me lazy if you like, I can handle it).
Cacao in San Martin, Peru
First, a bit of background information from the World Cacao Foundation in 2008:
- December 22, 2008 – Tracking the Origin of Cacao: The Search for New Cacao Germplasm in the Peruvian Amazon; World Cacao Foundation (article can be found about three quarters of the way down the page).
Moving on to 2010:
- January 1, 2010 – Drug Lords vs. Chocolate: From Coca to Cacao in Peru; Time.com.
- February 11, 2010 – Chocolate Replaces Cocaine in Some Areas of Peru; CNN.
- June 28, 2010 – Peru Hosts First International Cacao and Chocolate Fair in Latin America; Organic & Wellness News.
- July 10, 2010 – European Chocolatiers Shower Praise on Peru Cocoa; Reuters.
The Future of Organic Peruvian Cacao
So, things look quite promising as far as the speciality markets are concerned. The future of organic Peruvian cacao looks bright – hopefully it will continue to live up to its potential.
If you want some more general information about cacao in Peru have a look at this PDF file, Cacao in Peru: A Rising Star. It’s a government-packaged report so it might be a little biased, but it’s pretty comprehensive. If you have any thoughts, extra information etc then feel free to post a comment in the comments box.
Image by Prinzessin, Wikimedia Commons.
Awesome blog does Tarapoto have the finest grade cacao?. I’m currently thinking about having a vacation home in Tarapoto off the grid for the love of wild fruits and business. What kind are their? Do you know if they have huasai? How about ayahuasca and sanango? Are their shamans around?
Hi Dan. It’s high quality cacao, although I wouldn’t know for certain if it was the finest grade. There are endless varieties of fruits here, but no huasai (at least, not as far as I’m aware – I wish there was, it’s great stuff!). You’ll certainly find Ayahuasca and shamans.
Estimados Amigos, les paso el dato que este 02 de mayo se realizará un Taller sobre “Mejora de la Competitividad en la Cadena del Cacao”, en el auditorio de la Cámara de Comercio de San Martín, se los recomiendo. Aquí el enlace sobre el evento: http://acopagro.com.pe/index.php/2013-04-21-09-18-55/notas-de-prensa/158-taller-mejora-de-la-competitividad-en-la-cadena-del-cacao Es un evento organizado por PROCADESAM y CITE CACAO.