This little blog has been sadly static since December 2012 due to various character flaws such as laziness and greed. I should be ashamed.
Anyway, I’m not, so here’s a quick getting-back-on-track update from Tarapoto, Peru:
- I moved house, swapping my excellent fourth-floor rooftop views for sublime vistas from my current fifth-floor location.
- I went to Tarapoto’s new(ish) cinema a few times, it’s a pretty sweet place but too many of the films are dubbed into Spanish (and dubbed movies are kind of stupid). More on that later.
- I’m still writing fulltime about Peru (my new blog is called New Peruvian).
- I have plenty of new restaurants to recommend, including possibly the best pork in town.
- The global media turned its attention to Tarapoto after rival drag queens brawled on stage at the Miss Gay 2013 event. Awesome.
- I went to a motokar cross event on the outskirts of town, which basically involves a bunch of guys racing mototaxis around a dirt track while dodging Peruvian spectators who casually walk across the circuit, oblivious to the oncoming racers. Fantastic.
- I bought a dog.
- My wife has opened a little bar on the same street as the Stonewasi bar, opposite La Patarashca and the Suchiche cafe/cultural center. Come along for a drink.
That’s all for now. Feel free to come down to the bar for a beer and to say hello, I’ll probably be there way too often.
Congratulations on your new apartment, on resurrecting your blog. on the acquisition of your new pet, and on your wife´s business venture.I´m glad That you will be posting again on your Tarapoto blog. I had missed your observations about Tarapoto. For my part, I´m back in Peru for another six months. If you´re in Lima during my stay here, you and your wife can stop by the place where I am staying for a visit. In the meantime, take care.
Hi Vincent, good to hear from you. There’s a good chance I’ll be in Lima sometime during the next six months. I’ll let you know if I head that way. And let me know if you come to Tarapoto.
Hey Tony, I’ve been wondering when you would start devoting some time to this blog again, good on ya! I’ll come by the bar/peluquería soon and check it out. Maybe bring Ruud and bring you up do date on our nefarious endeavors in Tarapoto. See you soon!
Mike, el gringo asnaso
“Nefarious endeavors….” — sounds interesting. Yeah, come by any time, would be good to catch up with you and Ruud.
Tony… Glad you are back writing, missed you man! Things sound good. Congratulations on the apartment,Katy’s new bar..oops salon..jaja and the addition to your family. Can’t wait to hear more of what is happening in Tarapoto and around. With a little luck I will be back in Peru after Christmas and Tarapoto to visit friends is on my list.
Keep well and keep writing,
Hi Shorty, good to hear from you. Yep, all is good here, keeping busy. Let me know when you touch down in Tarapoto and we can grab a few beers.